Find A Doctor
Find a Neurologist
There are many ways to find a neurologist, including requesting a referral from your primary care physician, doing an Internet search, asking for recommendations from friends or family members who've seen a neurologist, or contacting Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan for assistance. Another helpful resource is the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. You can use their search tool to find Board Certified neurologists. You can also see if a neurologist is Board Certified in any subspecialties, like child neurology, sleep medicine, clinical neurophysiology, or epilepsy. This site does not provide contact information, however, so you'll have to contact Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan or do some additional research to obtain that. 

Find an Epileptologist
In many cases, a neurologist or general practitioner can successfully treat epilepsy. In any of the following circumstances, however, seeing an epileptologist (a neurologist who specializes in epilepsy) is recommended:

  • if two tolerated and appropriate medications have failed to control your seizures
  • if you've been seeing a general neurologist, and your seizures have not been brought under control after 12 months
  • if your seizures are controlled, but the resulting medication side effects are difficult to tolerate
  • if your doctor is unsure of your diagnosis
  • if you have complications from epilepsy (e.g. memory problems, depression, etc.)
  • if you're a woman with epilepsy considering pregnancy
The term "epileptologist" is somewhat loosely defined. An epileptologist should be a neurologist with one ore more of the following qualifications:

  • Completion of a one- or two-year fellowship in epilepsy (this may be referred to as an epilepsy fellowship or a clinical neurophysiology fellowship; some clinical neurophysiology fellowships focus on epilepsy and EEG; others focus on neuromuscular medicine and EMG; and some may include both)
  • Board Certification in epilepsy (by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology)
  • Interest in epilepsy, combined with extensive experience in treating primarily patients with epilepsy

Epileptologists may work at a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, in private practice, or at a smaller hospital-based epilepsy program. Contact Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan (800-377-6226) for assistance in finding an epileptologist in your area. In addition, many epileptologists are American Epilepsy Society (AES) members. The AES Find a Doctor search tool can help you find epilepsy specialists near you.

Find a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center  
Most epileptologists see patients at a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center. Each center is staffed by a team of epilepsy experts, including epileptologists, clinical nurse specialists, nurse practitioners, neurosurgeons, neuropsychologists, EEG techs, and others. They also provide access to the full range of diagnostic and treatment options.

The following are Michigan's Comprehensive Epilepsy Centers:

Beaumont Adult Comprehensive Epilepsy Center

Adult Epilepsy Center
(248) 551-3302
3555 West 13 Mile Road
Royal Oak, Michigan 48073

Beaumont Pediatric Comprehensive Epilepsy Center

Pediatric Epilepsy Center
(248) 551-3302
3535 W. Thirteen Mile
Suite N120
Royal Oak, Michigan 48073

Children's Hospital of Michigan

Pediatric Epilepsy Center
(313) 993-2867
3901 Beaubien Blvd
Detroit, Michigan 48201

Henry Ford Health System Comprehensive Epilepsy Program

Adult/Pediatric Epilepsy Center
(313) 916-8596
2799 West Grand Blvd
Detroit, Michigan 48202

Mercy Health Saint Mary's Epilepsy Center

Adult Epilepsy Center
(616) 685-5525
200 Jefferson Avenue
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503

Spectrum Health Comprehensive Epilepsy Program

Adult/Pediatric Epilepsy Center (Spectrum Butterworth Hospital/Helen DeVos Children's Hospital)
(616) 267-7562
25 Michigan Street NE, Suite 6100
MC 266
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503

University of Michigan Comprehensive Epilepsy Center at C. S. Mott Children's Hospital

Pediatric Epilepsy Center
(734) 936-4179
1540 E. Hospital Drive
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-4279

University Of Michigan Comprehensive Epilepsy Program

Adult Epilepsy Center
(734) 936-9010 or (734) 936-9020
1500 E Medical Center Drive
F2593 UH South
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109

Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center Comprehensive Epilepsy Program

Adult Epilepsy Center
(313) 745-1416
4201 St. Antoine
8c University Health Center
Detroit, Michigan 48201-2153

The following Epilepsy Centers, while not accredited by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers, have epileptologists on staff and provide similar access to diagnostic and treatment options (some internally and some through partnerships with other health systems):

Bronson Neuroscience Center

(269) 341-7500
601 John St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

McLaren Macomb

(586) 493-3297
1030 Harrington St., Suite LL01
Mount Clemens, MI 48043

Michigan State University/Sparrow Health System Epilepsy Program

(517) 353-8122
Michigan State University
Department of Neurology and Ophthalmology
Clinical Center
804 Service Road, Room A-217
East Lansing, MI 48824

St. Joseph Mercy Oakland

(248) 858-6104
44555 Woodward Ave Ste 104
Pontiac, Michigan 48341-5032

For a list of additional Comprehensive Epilepsy Centers throughout the United States, visit the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.

This information is provided as public information. Inclusion of providers on this list does not mean endorsement of the organization by the Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan.